Monday, August 11, 1980

Somber Under the Rainbow (pt4)

4.
I’m standing at the edge
Of existence, like a gargoyle,
Watching the busy body street below.
Millions of rain drops plummet
From the night sky, drowning the Earth.
My clothes are becoming
Saturated and heavy,
As a steady stream of rain runs
Down the side of my face
And off the clef of my chin.
People becoming umbrella tops
Scurry about below,
As cars zip by splashing puddles
Onto the already soaked sidewalks.
A yellow taxi stops along the curb,
The on-duty light comes on
As the back door opens wide.
A woman hurries out
Shutting the door behind her.
Quickly she dances around puddles
And disappears through the doors
Of a corner coffee café.
She looked a lot like my Ex, Alice.
Then again, recently
Everybody and everything
Reminds me of her.
Ever since she left me
I can’t get her out of my head.
She freaked out, said she couldn’t watch me
Deteriorate in front of her,
She couldn’t watch me do nothing
As the cancer slowly kills me.
But who has the courage to fight,
When you know the outcome is loss?
So now I stand on this rooftop,
Toeing the line between
Life and death, right and wrong,
And the wind eggs me on
With every breezy push,
Whispering in my ear to just fall.
I wish I had the courage
To solider on, but I’m getting weak.
Slowly I lean forward
Until gravity grabs a hold of me
And the wind gives one final push.
The descent is peaceful
As I close my eyes
And thoughts of Alice flash before me.

No comments: