Monday, August 11, 1980

Somber Under the Rainbow (pt2)

2.
Sitting in my bed I watch
As the sun slowly sets on the city,
Recalling the good day today.
The memories of my past
That I was able to remember.
My beautiful wife,
My job as a teacher,
The hundreds of friends I’ve made in my life.
I once lived a wonderful life.
Instead now I’m confined to this bed,
Left staring out the sixth floor window
Of this bitterly cold hospital room.
Unable to defend myself
From the crows outside
As they freely fly about,
Like kindergarteners on a playground.
“I hope you get hit by a bus!”
But they don’t answer back. They just sit,
Awkwardly perched on my window sill,
Mocking me with their stares,
Like the dark silhouettes of
Names and faces I can’t remember.
I can hear the distant rumbles
Of thunder in the clouds
As I drift off to sleep.
I dream of better times
When I use to have a brain,
Before my body and mind
Had withered away beneath me.

No comments: