Monday, August 11, 1980

Memoirs of a Possum

It’s dark out,
I like the dark,
The dark is good,
The dark is my friend.
It keeps me safe,
Safe from the bad,
Safe from my enemies,
From the predators.
The moon is just a crescent,
Just a sliver of light,
Casting long shadows,
Across the quiet ground.
No movement to be seen,
No sounds to be heard,
No crickets, no dogs, no nothing,
Silence… dead silence…. to quiet.
I need to be careful tonight,
I’m scared tonight,
It’s quiet tonight,
To quiet in fact and dark,
I like the dark.
Wait…Did you hear that?
I think I heard a cricket chirp…
Wait, there it is again, that’s no cricket,
It’s louder now; it’s coming this way…
What do I do, what do I do!
UUGGHHH!
Is it gone? Did it see me?
What was that?
It was fast… real fast,
Too fast in fact… I better go.
Look… over there.
A trash can.
I bet it’s full of food.
Sweet delicious food,
Yummy food.
Food!



I can’t wait to see what’s inside,
Spaghetti and meatballs,
Brown rotten apples,
Fuzzy dinner rolls,
A doggy bag from the Outback,
An Ice Cream Sundae!
Wait… that sound is back.
What could it be?
It’s loud,
So loud…
And scary….
UUGGHHH!
Whew, that was close,
Very close,
To close for comfort.
What was it? I couldn’t see it…
It was dark, really dark…
Ooo… dark chocolate,
Who throws away dark chocolate?
My belly is so full,
Full of yum yums,
Full of goodness,
Full of greatness,
Of great-goodness!
Wait… there it is again.
It’s closer this time…
I’m going go look for it.
There in the distance…
Coming right at me…
It’s beautiful….
So pretty,
So bright,
So big,
So….. Splat!

No comments: