Monday, August 11, 1980

Road Trip

Driving in the pouring rain.
Windshield wipers barely even working.
Smearing the water across my view,
Making for a Gaussian blurred effect
of what's in front of me.
It's hard enough for me to drive
Without my glasses.
I didn't need the artistic appeal
Of the icy cold rain.

Drip, Drip, Drip,
My window begins to leak.
It's probably the old tampon
Tied to my radio antenna.
A friend's idea of a joke
And my own shear laziness in it's removal.
No where to stop for miles
And my lap is starting to saturate.

Finally, a rest stop.
One I've never been to before.
Which is odd considering
I used to drive this three hour trek
Twice a week last semester.

I park in a barren spot,
In a barren parking lot.
I guess this place isn't frequented that much.
Can't imagine why not,
Considering this shit hole doesn't offer much.
Just two small bathrooms
And a vending machine.
Not much shelter from the cold harsh elements.

It's a good thing this place is empty though.
Nobody can see me
Looking like I just pissed myself.
I finally cut off the rain soaked tampon
And toss it on the roof of my car,
(where it would remain
For another hundred and fifty miles.)
And drive away from the lonely rest stop.
Leaving it sullen in the cold rain.

No comments: